February 15, 2015

SIRI (COOPER) POWELL

Well, I guess I’ll just start at the beginning. I attended BYU-I right after high school and graduated in May 2008 with a BS in Communication/ Public Relations and a minor in English. In 2006 I met and married my husband, Curtis Powell –he’s from Rigby, but I still kind of like him. I tried to marry an Idaho boy so I didn’t have to move across the country, but that didn’t work out the way I planned, and immediately after graduation in June of 2008 we moved 1700 miles away to Ann Arbor, Michigan so he could start a PhD program in Biological Chemistry at the University of Michigan. I worked at the UofM Business School for a couple of years until we had our first little boy in December 2010, Grant Major (4).  In April 2014—six years after coming to Ann Arbor—my husband finished his PhD (phew) and about a month later we welcomed our second son, Connor Gary (9 months).  

I get to stay home with my boys and love it most days! Little boys are busy, busy, busy, and our days usually include at least one fort made out of couch cushions and one attempt at jumping from the very top of our stairs to the very bottom (just to see what happens), and the spring, summer, and fall months consist of hours of playing outside at the playgrounds and the pools and riding bikes. And who knew, fall is actually a season, and lasts longer than the two week falls we were used to in Idaho. September-December is movie-quality fall weather complete with apple picking and cider mills. Everyone warned us about the awful Michigan winters, but honestly, not much can top an Idaho winter.

Pretty soon after my first baby was born I realized that I loved taking pictures and started building my portfolio and gaining experience by taking a lot of free photography sessions, and eventually I stopped taking everyone’s pictures for free and now have a small business that I devote a little of my free time to. However, with two little boys, I don’t have a lot of free time. http://siripowellphotography.weebly.com/

And, what can I say, our family is destined to be students forever because Curtis just finished applying to law schools for this fall so he can be a scientific patent lawyer. I married a smarty pants, and so far our top choices from the schools he’s heard back from are Berkeley, NYU, and University of Michigan, but we will wait to hear back from the rest of the schools before making a decision about where to spend the next few years.  So much for living in Idaho the rest of my life like I thought I would. Like a lot of our class, we are fairly poor and probably won’t be making it back for the reunion unless there is a wealthy class member who wants to finance a trip for us! These are the highlights of my life, and I won’t bore you with all the nitty-gritty details, but I love these updates from everyone, so keep them coming!






No comments: